Skip to main content

Horticultural plants that you can grow easily in your garden

I thought of writing an article about the plants you can grow easily in your garden. This is because one of my friends asked me when I posted "Plant a Tree Challenge", add more suitable suggestions to the challenge. So I think of writing a rich description of plants that will be suitable for it and thank you Bhanu for the comment. I must tell you that I am no expert regarding horticulture, but I am prepared to give you some more valuable suggestions here. Anyway, I am looking forward to comments and suggestions if you have any. Let's begin.

Mee
"Madhuca longifolia" in botany, Commonly named in Sri Lanka and "Mee" is one of our very own and can be seen in most of the tropical rain forests in Sri Lanka. It can be seen in large areas in central India and northern plain rainforests as well. It grows about approximately 20 to 30 meters in height with a speed growth rate which falls down to "Madhuka" tree category. Commonly found in the use of rice agriculture and traditional medicines, it is widely used for timber.

Ayurvedic medicinal value - Mee oil

Mee oil has a remarkable medicinal property in ayurvedic medicine. Mee oils obtained by peas and bark can be used to make a curry or a sweet drink. Mee oil is used to treat ailments such as mucus, burns, gastritis and etc. Accordingly, mee oil is an excellent herb.

Paddy Friendly Mee Tree 

Mee was helpful In paddy cultivation to chase away insects, attract birds and leaves as a fertilizer in the ancient times. For one acre of paddy fields, one tree was enough in those days. Bats who come to taste the fruits of the tree leaves with their shit which is an essential botany biological fertilizer(nitrogen). Also, little insects like flies that destroy crops will be their food supply and it will also control the damages to the cultivation. Also, the sound of bees who come to drink the honey from the flowers is another way of reducing botany insect damage. The ancients made a special place for the mee tree with many such benefits. But today, this situation has changed. In modern farming, chemical fertilizers and pesticides are commonly used for pest control. But the downside is that it makes a man sick.

Ancients have given the mee tree a great value but now it has fallen into one of the endangered plants in Sri Lanka but, yet to be named as one. This is due to the lack of awareness about value, use of timber and negligence. Therefore, it is very important to conserve these valuable plants without causing them to die.

Mango
Mango is one of the common fruits in South Asia. It has history back to the fourth and fifth centuries. It has a larger variety of variations but my favorite is Alfonso.













Other plants you can easily grow...


  • Sapota
  • Jack fruit
  • Bur
  • Pomegranate
  • Custard apple
  • Jasminum
  • Guava
  • Tamarind
  • Butter fruit(Avacado)
  • Drumstick(Moringa)
  • Oleander
  • Coffee



Water and soil management

It is so much important to look after and maintain soil and water whether it is a dry land or not. You can make a dry land successfully cultivated if you can reserve water and soil in a conserved manner.
Most crops need substantial water during different periods of growth. Supply water dropwise near the root, with equal time duration and this is called drip irrigation. Deep-rooted crops like Custard, Jackfruit, and Pomegranate is suitable for soil conservation to avoid heavy soil irotion from heavy rain. When the rainy season comes, create ponds to collect water and add canals to move water to the plants.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving to a star far far away

There is a bright star in the long sky Shining with a smile looking at the Earth There is a newborn golden butterfly Looking at the shining light from far below "Oh only if I can be a star like that" Be there shining aside with it Lonely star, you have gone too far I can't come close to you I don't have the strength in my wings But, if I can I will fly away to you To feel your warmth by your side So I am loving to a star far far away Looking from heaven